Saturday, April 17, 2010

Dakar Market

Bargaining with the smooth talkin' Darkois
Roof of the market, above.

Another beautiful day in Dakar! Today, we walked to the Institut Francais where we had a great breakfast and coffee.

As we were walking out of the Institute, we were picked off by a smooth talkin' Darkois. He is a vendor at the artisanal market, seemed nice so away we went. He found us functioning bank machine and then took us to the market. Loved the market. The picture shows the interior roof of the market. Brings to mind the Saint John, NB market for me. The market was full of fish mongers, butchers and fruit and vegetables. He then ushered us to his stall, brought us tea, the strong, hot, syrupy type I've come to enjoy and then convinced us to buy some of his goods. Everyone went away happy. He walked us a ways back towards the hotel and before leaving us planted a kiss on both cheeks. If anyone of you finds yourself in Dakar, I am to give you his card!:)
This will be my last blog for a while unless I manage to find an Internet cafe. Up to now, I have had my little computer and Wifi has been easily found. We are leaving tomorrow for Ile Gorée and then south to the Sine-Saloum nature preserve. I will be leaving my little computer with Monique's sister. I will keep notes and blog when I can.

Bye for now. Patty in Senegal.

2 comments:

  1. So sad to hear I won't see new blogs from you for awhile. It's been great reading and viewing (the photos are spectacular). Your market shopping experience sounds lovely (great picture of you too!) Enjoy the next leg of your trip.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty! Believe it or not I've just discovered this bit of the blog. I didn't know I could respond to your wonderful diary!
    Amazing pictures and stories - you look right at home there. Especially love the recent pics of the market and of you dancing with the women in their blue dresses. Hope your trip south is another wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete