Saturday, April 17, 2010

Dakar, Senegal

Fishing pirogues, Dakar
ViewPicture: View from second floor landing of our hotel, the Sokhamon

I feel like I have landed on a different planet! When I stepped from the plane a cool breeze caressed my face! Dakar is surrounded on three sides by the ocean. I am writing this from the hotel deck overlooking the ocean, towards the west.The sound of the crashing waves and the cool air are a soothing balm.

Despite the favorable change of weather, I feel sad to have left Mali behind, the lovely, gentle ways of the people and my great experience there.

Dakar is a big city, lots of hustle. We happened to wander into a part of the market and found some of the vendors relentless. Though other people we have met have been kind and helpful. There is the kind of big city anonymity here. There appears to be a thriving middle and upper class. Lots of enormous houses overlooking the water. We happened upon a gelato place, (you'd look long and hard for that in Bamako!) and there was a party for very chic-looking 7 year olds going on. I was intimidated by them! The birthday girl looked to be Lebanese of which there is a sizable community here.
It's just coming up to 7:30 so will bid farewell for now and go plan the day.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours and designs on the fishing boats and what an amazing ocean view. Even so, all your blogs were rich with the gentleness and spirit of the people in Mali. I can see why you miss Mali!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete